Well today I am calling my "married" friends (triple Rs) for dinner. It is a bit more effort than calling normal friends because they can differentiate between good food and bad food (incidentally all my food cooked today is not that good - did too much experimentation:().
Well here is my type-list of friends:
- "Married" friends - they always come in even number unless they have kids. Generally come on time and leave on time. Basic requirements is that you need to get along well with both husband and wife and the kid should not hate you. Their availabilty is highest on Sat nights. If you visit them remember to take a bottle of wine and if they visit you remember to cook at least 3 course meal. Yes and please clean your apartment.
- "Rich" friends - These are the friends who have million dollar mansions overlooking golf course and lake. They are more or less normal people except that be prepared to be awed by their richness. If you go out to eat with them then be prepared to shell out at least 30-40 bucks. They never come to your place.
- "Hep" friends - These are the cool dudes and hot chicks. You have to wear your best - clothes and attitudes - to hang out with them. You should be able to talk about latest fad and best perfumes. You never cook indian food for them - olny exotic stuff. And yeah be prepared to have one wine bottle in your house if you are calling them over.
- "Office" friends - They are the friends whom you meet in the hallway, kitchen or cafeteria. They are your friends as long as you are in the office. They are mostly not in your group but understand what you are working on. They are not married (if they are then they enter the category of married friends). As a thumb rule I do not call these people to my apartment - no specific reason. As another thumb rule - I always tell them "I will call you to my apartment sometime". Incidentally they are the most dependendable group if you want to go out for dinner on a weekday night. They can help you with your RAS certificate renewal or guide you about debugging certain things at your work.
- "long distance" friends - These are the friends in US - you call (phone call) them on and off on weekends. You promise them that you will visit them in the next major holidays and they promise you vice versa :). They are the ones whom you know for long - long before you came to US. And yes you discuss your life's issues with them.
- "India" friends - Friends in India - twice in year phone calls - on respective b'days that is. And if no phone calls then twice in year mails. You be in touch through emails and orkut. The email activity pattern is essentially bursty. You don't mail for long then one of you mails saying that you are too busy in life and then you catch up on everything and then again there is a lull. They were your best friends at some point in your life and you are sure that once you get back to India you can catch up and resume being the best of friends sharing every significant and insignificant things.
- catch "..." friends/core friends - These are your core group of friends. They can come to your apartment without notice and vice versa. You need not clean your apartment for them. They will agree to eat plain dal and rice with papad. Most dependable category if you want to eat at home on a weekday/weekend. These are 2 am friends. You call them when you have an accident or when your doctor is sucking blood out of you. They are not married(else they will be part of married friends). They will drop/pick you up from airport. And yeah they are the ones you reserve your friday nights for ...
Bass bahut ho gaya.